Monday, September 14, 2009

5K- Difference between fast and mediocre

2009 North Hills 5K

The clock read "18:55", and I thought, "Holy crap."
I was approaching the finish line of the North Hills 5K in Raleigh, about to throw up.
"I could break 19 minutes! That would be fast*!"
So I sprinted to the finish line, with my eyes scanning beyond it, looking for a bucket to place the contents of my stomach.

*I use the word "fast" in a the technical sense, as defined by the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF). They have a standardized chart used to gage performance in a 5K. I have reproduced the one for men below:

IAAF Men's 5K performance ranking
TIMECLASS
19:00 and aboveAverage guy
18:00 - 18:59Fast
17:00 - 17:5940 year olds who were on the collage track team
16:00 - 16:59Insufferable skinny cross country team teenagers
15:00 - 15:59Guys who work at the shoe store
14:00 - 14:59Guy at the shoe store named Bobby who sold me my
"Asics Gel Pillow Plodders with roll bar and built in iPod."
13:00 - 13:59Targets of doping investigation
13:00 and belowEast Africans who grew up without shoes

As a runner, I am in the "Average guy" class, and I am proud of that. Back in high school, I was always the last kid picked for the team in gym class, so acheiving the heights of cardiovascular mediocrity is a quite an accomplishment for me.
And now here I was, with the title of "Fast" only several nauseating steps away. As I crossed the finish line the clock read "19:01". This distracted my stomach enough that it forgot about vomiting, at least until I considered the hot dogs being served.

I still held out hope for a sub 19, because 19:01 was just my "gun time". This race used timing chips, so my actual "chip time" could be a few seconds less! Then I could brag, and say "Yeah, I ran an 18... something. ".
I had to wait until the next day, constantly checking for the final results online, until I finally got my result: 19:00

Ug. One second away from being fast. Should have just took it easy and had a hot dog.

More pictures here.

3 comments:

  1. When attempting a FAST PR - never sign up for a race with HILL in the title. 19:00 is very fast to me! Congratulations on a great race.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating to finish just a minute slower than the time you wanted (I hate it when that happens to me)! However, I think you will get your sub-19:00 time before long.

    Rima

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should lobby the IAAF do either redefine "fast", redefine "time", or redefine "men"

    You can still win this one man ;)

    I like your blog, and I'm somewhat interested in cheap shoes. How much for shipping? What's your return policy?

    Egg

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.