Sunday, June 27, 2010

Review: Green Silence

This blog is outrageously popular, and attracts literary tens of visitors every week.
So I think it is time for me to leverage my vast readership into some lucrative corporate sponsorships.
That's right, it is time for running product reviews.

First up:

Brooks Green Silence
I am still doing most of my running in The Red Shoes, but I am looking for something with less cushioning, something lower to the ground. I want a pair that are thin, light and flexible, so I went shopping for racing flats. I came home with these.


Form: C

For "CRAP". Yes, they have a wacky asymmetrical yellow and red color scheme, I give them points for trying.
But they do not invoke a flashy "Wow, that guy must be fast!" image.
It's more of a "Wow, that guy looks like Ronald McDonald the Creepy Clown" image.

Function: F
For "FLAT, NOT". These are sold as "racing flats". Shouldn't racing flats be flat? What's with the inch of spongy foam under the heal? Yes, they are flexible. But so are loofah sponges, and I could strap those to my feet instead and not spend $100.

Fit: D
For "DON'T FIT". These are very narrow and long. It was like I was about to go water skiing. I am told all "racing flats" are designed to be very narrow to squeeze all the blood out of your feet. Or something like that.

Overall:B
For "took them BACK". Thankfully, the shoe store took them back, informing me that Brooks is quite good at accepting returns.
I was about to go off on a rant about how I can't find a simple, flat shoe that will fit my foot. But this guy already did it for me.

Attention Brooks:
OK. I did my part by giving you free advertising. I anticipate crates of free stuff to start arriving at my doorstep. I'll take some shorts, and maybe a hat. But keep the shoes. They suck.

5 comments:

  1. Excellent analysis! The sponges are underneath the kitchen sink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I'm generally a Brooks fan, but was skeptical of these shoes. I like the T6 Racers (http://www.brooksrunning.com/product/1000121D/123199/T6%20Racer), but ended up getting a half-size bigger because they are sized super narrow. The extra length didn't bother me. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are missing the genius of design.
    Racing flats are developed for, well racing. Competitive racing requires not only the proper level of training and ability but also a stealthy understanding of how to achieve race time advantage over your opponent. And nothing, I mean nothing will get inside the head of your opponent than to instill the fear that they are being pursued and overtaken by a clown. There is nothing creepier than a clown, except maybe a competitive clown who can kick your ass in a foot race.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, Vibram Chris. So true and well said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I could always get the red nose and the orange wig.
    Come to think of it, clowns actually wear those ridiculously wide clown shoes, which is exactly what I need.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.