Monday, March 7, 2011

2011 Umstead Marathon

Umstead 2011: Attack of the Ticks
Ticked off
Despite my detailed and expert Mascotologist analysis, I once again failed to prognosticate the Umstead Marathon mascot. None of my four leading candidates landed the title this year.

Surprisingly, it was Umstead newbie Barefoot Josh who correctly picked the critter. As you can see above, The Conclave decided to follow up last year's cute bunnies with creepy little ticks. For picking the correct animal, Josh wins a bag full of live ticks. I'll start collecting them off of the dogs and will ship the bag to him at the end of the summer.

Mascot Grade
I'm going to give the Conclave's choice of a tick a B+.
I like that they got back to the dark and edgy spirit of the original horse fly mascot, but I think they neglected the superior arachnid: the spider.

Anyone who has run Company Mill early on a summer morning and collected a dozen spiderwebs with their face would agree with me.

Sam Brown on his way to sub-3
Photos from the Race
Harold Hill
Let's start with the important stuff:
  • Peak Photo Media generously provides professional finish line photos for free (I think)
  • Awesome endurance celebrity Frank Lilley took this race off to volunteer and take pictures.
  • Jim & Jade Wei got a lot of great shots too.
  • Shannon ran with her camera while cruising to an Umstead PR.
Blog Posts
Links to more timely and creative posts than this one:



Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Cannot thank the volunteers enough. Year after year, they put on the best race experience you could ever hope for.


A Shout Out to Shout Outs
Umstead is a friendly race, and runners will shout words of encouragement to one another as we cross paths.
However, we tend to rely on the well worn out "Good job!". I found myself spouting this over and over again on Saturday.
In fact, in Der Scott's account above, he heard it so many times it made him sick to his stomach.
His only salvation was a novel shout out of "Strong work!", which powered him to the finish.

During the race I tried to think of something creative like that, but my oxygen starved brain could only come up with the somewhat demoralizing and insulting "Hang in there!"

Maybe the race could help us out and post signs along the way with alternative phrases we could use. Things like:
  • "You look fabulous!"
  • "Slow down! Enjoy the day"
  • "Nice Legs"
  • "Love the way you tie your shoes!"
  • "Your chest hair is quite symmetrical!"
  • "There are ticks crawling on your back!"


The "Finishing in Style" Awards
(Updated results)



5th Place
Goes to my sister Monique.
It is quite astounding that she has only run on trails twice, and both times were Umstead Marathons. Training only on the flat concrete in Michigan, she navigated the roots, rocks and hills in a fast 3:47 without falling. But that's not why she gets the award.

The months of running on snow and ice covered streets prepared her somewhat for trails, but she did not escape the single track unscathed.

"I'm afraid to take off my shoe," she told me when she finished, "Since mile 4, it felt like I was growing a 6th toe."

She took the shoe off to reveal something straight out of a cartoon.
It was a ridiculously gigantic, brilliantly glowing, neon red blister on her big toe. It made a "thump, thump, thump" throbbing sound as it grew larger by the second.

"WOW. That's going to need some medical attention."

4rd Place
Goes to Dr. Ken.
After busting out a crazy fast 3:10 in Umstead (equivalent to a sub-3 road marathon), he heroically went on to do emergency surgery on Monique's big toe, popping the life threatening blister before it got any bigger.

3nd Place
Goes to Jason Figge, who risked severe calf cramping by going airborne and tagging the finish line banner.

2nd Place (update)
Goes to Shannon D., who scored trail-love just a half mile into the race.
He went on to run another 25.7 and finish bleeding from four places.


Photos by Jim Wei and Shannon
1st Place
Goes to Brandy Burns.
She stopped at the aid station at mile 20, and donned a stunning red dress, and sprinted down the home stretch.
Now that's finishing in style!


Other Results
Monique, Shannon and Josh all ran together most of the way. You can read Josh's account here.

Shannon went on to finish 3rd female, and Monique 5th.





My Race
As for my experience, I'll spare you the details, because  it was pretty much the usual:
  1. My legs hurt all week
  2. I ran the race anyway
  3. Got incredibly lucky that I finished in one piece
  4. My legs hurt worse now. 
The photo below captures my mix of emotions:

  • Utter exhaustion
  • Stunned disbelief that I had made it the whole way
  • Amazing fortune to be bestowed with "wood"
  • Horror and revulsion that it was a tick.


Image by Peak Photo Media

17 comments:

  1. I love that photo of you finishing. You look happier than a kid on Christmas morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! :)
    I was humbled by the course yet again this year. To think that 11 months ago I was running down Boyslton, and here I was running with so much hamstring pain.

    I told myself (while crawling up Corkscrew) that I was done with marathons. We'll see how that works out.

    Strong work AC! You looked great every time you met me going the other way (I kept wondering if I was going the right direction!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second the thanks and big thumbs up to Umstead race organizers. Fiesta fabuloso.

    "Hang in there" wouldn't be so bad if you added "kitten" at the end.

    Congrats to all the stylish finishers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great breakdown of the race! I especially liked Dr. K's work on your sis's foot. That is perhaps one of the angriest blisters I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of signs posted along the course. We could have a *lot* of fun with that...

    I would go for obtuse signs, like "Cartwheel down this hill for style points!" or "Beware Sasquatch!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great report, as always, and congrats to you and those related to you by blood and marriage to taking home 10% of Umstead's lumber.
    I was the dumbass who fell a half mile in, and you got a picture of my "trail love." Would you mind sending it to me at at sdillmore at gmail? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ShannonD - Crap! I was so tired last night I forgot to put you in. Will send today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The "Good Job" part cracked me up. I never say it. I don't even say it to my son. I've resorted to a quick hand wave to people so that I don't have to speak.
    I'm sad I missed this one again. If my husband liked to run races, we would have been there, but he was ready to get as far away from Fort Bragg ASAP. Congrats on you're finish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No worries. I'm glad you didn't capture my clumsiness for posterity. I would, however, like to use the picture to troll for sympathy from family and friends, so thanks in advance for sending the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This race looks like so much fun! I really hope I can run it next year. And, I love the format of your report. (I'm making a mental note to avoid saying "good job" to anyone ever again)
    Congrats to all the stylish finishers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. GREAT REPORT! Loved it!

    As much as I hate to hear the 'Good Job!' line . . . I appreciate that someone is trying to be supportive of me (I bet we all do!)! So I think we just need to add to the list you started with 'neat things' folks have said to us. And create a 'bad things' list too. Like:

    You can do it! or
    You're almost there! or
    Lookin' Good! or
    Keep it up!

    We just need your creativity AC!! Help us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "almost there!" and "finish strong" and "looking good" are the three in my rotation.... Although almost there gets me dirty looks at mile 2 In a half marathon.... Nice job, and man thats a nasty blister

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to reply twice . . . but I can't quite thinking about that frickin' blister! That is the worst blister I've ever seen! How could anyone run with that? Monique should get so kind of toughness award for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the idea of composing a list of shout outs. I really do not feel much inspiration from the "almost there" and the "looking good". My first thought when someone says that to me is "I must be looking very bad and they felt the need to yell something." I like the "most of it is behind you so finish strong." Or my husband likes to yell out to me when I am really suffering ... "you do this for fun" and "this is what you love to do" or "just get going and stop complaining about that extra appendage you have forming on your big toe!"

    I had so much fun even with the blister. Thanks to everyone there for being so kind and encouraging. You guys are lucky to have such a fun and supportive running community. Great race. Thanks for inviting me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That blister, un freaking believable!!

    Thanks for the link to my post! Umstead kicked my ass, and I loved every second of it. Now that I know what I'm in for, I'm incredibly tempted to come back for more next year, and maybe even shoot for some "wood". Maybe it'll be in the shape of a mosquito...

    ReplyDelete
  16. At first I thought those boys were holding glasses of beer and was envious your race volunteers.

    Congrats on, well, something I'm sure. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did they pop that nasty blister? I've had one like that before (but not as large and on the underside of my foot), but I didn't touch it. It dried up in 3 or 4 days.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.