Thursday, February 9, 2012

2012 Uwharrie Mountain Run - part 1

This is me hitting mile 36.
Obliterated
I was literally run over by a truck once.
[Some would say I actually ran myself over with a truck. But that is another story]. I was lucky to escape death or dismemberment, but I was in the hospital for 3 days.

So when I say that right now that I "feel like I was run over by a truck", I am speaking from experience. In some ways, the Uwharrie 40 was actually worse. The truck only broke my right arm, took a chunk out of my right thigh, and removed some skin.

But the race left every inch of my legs swollen. Knees, calves, feet, toes, hips, quads, hamstrings, soleus, shins, Achilles tendons. Everything. (Well, I guess my IT bands are OK.)

The thought of running is laughable, and walking is still difficult.
At night, I have to use my hands to lift my legs into the bed, and I think I could really use an IV drip, a bedpan and nurse.

What was I thinking?
Getting hit by a truck was an accident, but I actually chose to do this to myself.
"What were you thinking?", my sister asked me, when I told her of my condition.
All last year I kept hurting myself in one race after another, struggling with injuries, and she had to listen to me whine and complain about it.
"What is wrong with you? Why would you run some crazy ultra-marathon? "

Well...
  • Uwharrie is not just a race. It is our local epic adventure.
  • I did the race in 2010 and had a lot of fun, and felt great
  • In 2011, I came tantalizingly close to the glorious "organ donor" status, before breaking down at mile 39.
  • And, well, everybody is doing it!
I just want to belong!
Not a Good Engineer
So here was my thinking before the race.
This January I had finally recovered from all of my lingering injuries, and a 20 mile training run proved I could make it at least halfway. So the race was a "go". It was just a question of what my goal should be. Here are the choices:
  1. A relaxing day in the forest. Take a lot of walk breaks from the very start. Try to finish without any pain or trauma.
  2. Go for sub 7:00 organ donor again.
Being an engineer, I like to make my decisions based on empirical evidence. So here are some numbers, comparing my running state of being before Uwharrie 2011 and the race this year :

Pre-Uwharrie state of being20112012
Mileage previous 6 months1089596
January Miles228119
Peek mileage week8141
Little River 10 Miler1:12:341:11:33
Eno Equalizer26:0626:12
Uwharrie Result7:05????

Hmmm. Compared to last year, I was only capable of running about half as much.
However, my race times were about the same. Maybe mileage doesn't matter!
It's all about "quality" runs, not "junk mileage", right? Right!

Organ Donation, here I come!

Onward into Uwharrie... to my doom.

7 comments:

  1. Aw, man, really? You're just gonna leave us hangin' like that? How am I supposed to write anything encouraging or motivational if I don't even know exactly how the race ended for you?
    ...
    Good job recovering from being run over by that truck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Organ donor attempt? AGAIN?! Welcome to my world. Come on in, "the stupid" feels fine! Swim in it. Wallow in it. Then get the hell out of my pool. There's only room for one ultra stupid running dude in the Triangle kiddie pool of stupidity, and I claimed that spot *long* ago. Dry off, heal up, and recover well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this as I lace up my shoes for a run around town. My first thought: "How can I get what it takes to wreck myself like that?" Runners are dingdongs. We prove it daily. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the sounds of it, everything turned out wonderful, you reached organ donor status and the puffy legs are from the post race imbibing.

    Congrats on a well thought out and totally prepared race plan! You did amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm hanging on the edge of my seat waiting for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, that's a lotta miles in Jan '11. Glad your IT band is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're starting to sound like my Crossfit Endurance friends with the, "mileage doesn't matter," mantra. Based on their formulas, by cutting your mileage in half, you will have doubled your speed and easily broken 7 hours, including the 50 burpees at each aid station! Of course, you have to be eating strict Paleo the whole time for it to work...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.