Saturday, February 6, 2010

Uwharrie quick update



Shannon, Bubbles and I did the Uwharrie 40 miler today, and all made it out alive without any major injuries. Some quick thoughts:

  • Race directors Jason and Kim of Bull City Running Co. and all of the volunteers did a miraculous job putting the race together under extreme conditions. They had to set up at least 8 aid stations yesterday in the middle of the forest, during the torrential rain and flooding. THANK YOU!
  • Due to flooding, the last 5 miles of the 20 mile trail was rerouted to a gravel road.
  • My GPS watch measured the course to be a measly 38 miles.
  • Otherwise, most of the flooding of yesterday had subsided, and the most of stream crossings were less than a foot deep.
  • I managed not to punch the ground with my face (thanks for the tip, Josh), although a rock did land a wicked haymaker on my big toe.
  • Congrats to friends Ronnie Weed, who placed 3rd, and Tricia Drummy who was 2nd Female.
  • Korean food and Beer are wonderful things.
  • I will do a more complete race report after I sleep a long, long time.

4 comments:

  1. Glad everyone made it in one piece. Or rather, since there are three of you, in three separate pieces.

    Man, I can't even imagine the logistics of getting those aid stations up. Just thinking about it gives me anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Anthony! I can only imagine how sore you are and I only did the 20 :)

    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that is me crossing the stream! I ran with Shannon for quite a while -- right until she fell on this crossing and told me to go on! I'll write a race report soon over at blog.2sparrows.org...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a link to my post:

    http://blog.2sparrows.org/2010/02/08/uhwarrie-mountain-run/

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.