Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dearly Beloved...


"Minister" Randy presides over the ceremony
MINISTER:
Dearly Beloved,
we are gathered together here to join together this man and this woman in matrimony.
If any person can show just cause why they may not be joined together, forever hold your peace because they don't care...


Shannon and I got married last week. The ceremony had a running "theme", so I guess it qualifies for a post on the running-down blog.

When we got engaged, we decided to have the ceremony on the beach in Emerald Isle, NC. We reserved a few houses for the week and invited friends and family to come join us.
Since neither of us are very religious, we asked our friend Randy to be the "officiant".
The ceremony was on Friday, at the end of the week. So before that we had six days of fun in the sun, relaxing with friends and family.

Hardly anyone broke their finger playing volley ball
Calyx does a cartwheel
We even brought the trampoline
Living large... the hot tub overflowed
The Atlantic tries to drown me
On Friday we gathered on a deck, and "Minister" Randy presided over the somewhat untraditional ceremony:
...Do you, Anthony, take Shannon to be your wife, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, in dogs and cats, as long as you both shall live?
"I do!"
...Do you Shannon take Anthony to be your husband, in sickness and in health, for richer, for poorer, in 5Ks and marathons as long as you both shall live?
"I do!"

We then exchanged vows and rings.
...And so, by the power vested in me by the North Carolina Board of Architecture, I now pronounce you husband and wife
You may now kiss each other.
We kissed, Champagne corks popped and the two Dads made toasts.
I thanked everyone, and then Shannon and I took off down the beach on our first run together as a married couple, with our wedding party in tow.

Lula was "Dog of Honor"
Jorge was "Best Dog"
We made our escape.
She stopped to take a picture, so I left her.
Bubbles brought PiƱatas for the party
This one was filled with mini bottles of gin and rum






Wedding 2 - The Prequel


It turns out that Randy's particular profession is not legally qualified to be an official officiant.
So before we headed out to the beach, we stopped at the court house in Raleigh, and took care of that pesky technical "legal" part of the marriage.

We were directed to the "Worthless Check" court room, and waited as prisoners in shackles and orange stripes were brought in to hear charges against them. One of them was in jail for writing a $150 bad check at Food Lion 5 years ago.
The guys on Wall Street are getting millions in bonuses for scamming people out of their life savings, and this guy is in jail for bouncing a check to get some food.
I almost pulled out my wallet to pay the $190 to set him free, but didn't. We might go back and do that.

Anyway, that was our wedding week.
More pictures are here. Big thanks to Bubbles for taking the great pictures of the ceremony, and afterwards.
And now we are off to the races as an official couple...

14 comments:

  1. Sorry i couldn't make it, I don't actually think a person can get there from here. Congrats anyway, looked like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Now that's the way to get hitched. Money well spent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! What beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry marriage! Congrats. And cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe Shannon let him wear those shorts. My eyes! My eyes! Aaaaaaaaggggggghhh.....

    I dunno. Looks like everyone is having a good time, all smiling and happy looking, without a lot of tension and stress and fighting and crying. Doesn't sound like a wedding to me. Are you sure you're really married?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Sounds like the ideal wedding to me... personal, to the point, and all about the two of you, which is how it should be!

    PS - you don't know me, but I've followed your blog for some time (from Frank Lilley's blog) so I feel like I know you both! Hope we can meet someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh! i am so happy i was able to get to the wedding! it was so cute! i loved the dogs t-shirts! congrats for my uncle anthony and my AUNT shannon i'm so happy she is my new aunt! i hope you have fun with your 5 pets and uncle anthonys mini me! love Mia Turco

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just walk away, Neil. Just walk away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes. Mia hacked into my email AND Posted on your blog?!?!?! that is just crazy!!! I believe she is referring to George the dog as Anthony's mini me.
    Anthony and Shannon -I love you both so much as individuals but you really are so much better together. It's just like your blog, your witty commentary on running would not be quite as good without Shannon's excellent photography backing it up. Good individually but really Great together!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As long as Lula's happy, I am happy. I think she must be wagging her tail and grinning from ear to ear just now--so I will too. Well, maybe I'l not wag my tail, but I will grin from ear to ear. Wonderful photos. Thanks so much for sharing. Betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats guys!! what a great, memorable way to get hitches (if only we were all able to have our family have our way!! ha!). Love the t-shirts, running shoes (but, yeah.... what's up with Anthony's shorts!?!)

    ~ Shuwen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Josh and Shuwen and all the children in the area, I am so sorry. I take full responsibility for the shorts. I encouraged it. But they matched the t-shirt, and I like his legs. Don't worry, I will try not to offer any other fashion advice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jessica sent me your wedding album. Congratulations, Best Wishes...and everything else that brings happiness to you newlyweds. What a fun wedding with lots of great memories to share. Here's to a satisfying journey together!! Marriage is grand. Love, Lorrie

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.