Sunday, September 12, 2010

Ovarian Awareness 5K

Yesterday we ran the "Gail Parkins Memorial Ovarian Cancer Walk and 5K Run"
It may be a personal record for us, in terms of the longest name of race.

Shannon took some good photos, which are here.

I had planned on doing the North Hills 5K barefoot, but ended up running this race.
I looked at the course and results from last year, and thought, "Hey, maybe I could PR! Hey, maybe I could even win it!".  So I wore shoes.
Of course, these were stupid, delusional, and greedy thoughts. My only achievement was re-aggravating the pain in my left foot.
There was a guy there who ran it barefoot, I think his name was Steve.

The race starts at a high school. The course drops precipitously for 3/4 a mile, goes around the greenway at Shelly Lake and then goes back up the hill to the start.

Another reason we did this race is because Ovarian Cancer easily trumps Baptist ministries as a charity.  Most of the people there were running and walking in the memory of a loved one lost to Ovarian Cancer. I felt like a jackass for being so wrapped up with my own petty personal goals. 
Afterwords we talked a while with this lovely couple we met there. They had been running their whole lives. They told us about how 30 years ago an 18 min 5K was middle of the pack.
They had a lot of activities there, including the slide for kids. Shannon really wanted to go on it, but I had to explain to her that she was about 30 years too old for it.


I don't know who this guy was or what cologne he was wearing,  but he was getting some loving from the 1st and 2nd place women. Those two easily kicked my ass in the race.
However, that didn't stop me from gloating over my wife with my 1st place age group award.
What a sad little man I am.

3 comments:

  1. Shut up, I got 3rd.

    How did Steve do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how Steve did. he said he had being doing it a while, and had just did a half marathon. I should have found him afterwords and talked to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the age group award!

    That guy looks like a commercial for Axe body spray. Hahahaa

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.