Thursday, February 3, 2011

Uwharrie 40 vs. Blue Ridge Marathon

Continuing my Uwharrie preview, here is a some perspective.

Uwarrie regulars consider the hills to be tough there. But lets compare it to some wimpy road marathon, like the nearby Blue Ridge Marathon in VA:


Added note: And this is just the 2010 course. They added yet another huge climb for 2011.

Google-Earthed course map:



Of course, at Blue Ridge you probably wouldn't find your self in this situation:

Photo by Jason R. Rose (found it on facebook)

And of course we compare them both to pikes peek:
Whatever. Sorry, my heart isn't into this, because it looks like I'll have to sit out the race because of this strained muscle. I tested it out last night by running a mile, and the result was me repeatedly screaming "FUCK" down the street.
On the plus side, I have now cemented my status as "the weirdo" in my neighborhood.

12 comments:

  1. Where's the unlike button? No spandex clad shady characters offering replacement turkey muscles?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had your neighborhood status ever really been in question??

    Come and hang with me tomorrow! Shoot for your slowest pace EVER!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep flip flopping. One minute I think there is no way I can run it, and the next "Oh, what the hell!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. FYI - the course/profile you reference for the Blue Ridge Marathon is the 2010 course. The 2011 course added another climb around mile 18.5. http://www.usatf.org/routes/view.asp?rID=398214

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, right. I forgot to mention that. I'll add it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, man, I really hope you feel recovered enough to run the race. That's gotta be so disappointing if you don't get to do it.
    And, if I'd have known you were going to be injured sooner than this, I would have tried to buy your spot in the race. (just kidding) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be a runner for life. Don't kill yourself for just one race.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah, I know. But it is feeling a lot better...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit iffy myself with a tweaked knee and achilles. I figure with enough tylenol I may just get through it. I hope to see you out there Anthony, but Shannon is right, there will be other races - Umstead's coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A full running life should have a bunch of experiences. Fast races, slow races, painful races, dnfs, and not starting. You gotta figure eventually there will be a race you just can't do. Maybe this is the one, and you should just check that off the to-do list.

    Of course, if the pain starts after the first mile, you might as well start the race. When the pain sets in, you won't have far to walk back. Then you can volunteer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm really glad you decided to run it anyway, Anthony. You'll get to donate an organ next year. 7:05 and 5th place on a turkey tendon has got to be a record.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.