Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Uwharrie Uncertainty

The Uwharrie Mountain Run  is on Saturday, just 4 days away.
Instead of one interesting and entertaining pre-race blog entry, I will be posting a bunch of incoherent blather the next few days.

Shannon and I are signed up for the 40 miler again, and we have been looking forward to it ever since we ran the 37.5 miler last year.

In fact, this was my "goal race" for the year. I was hoping to join the prestigious Organ Donor Club, which requires finishing the 40 miler in under 7 hours. Even if I was 100% healthy, this would be a long shot, because my name does not really belong on that list.

Unfortunately I am far from healthy at the moment. Now, I know I complain about being injured all the time, but after all, the name of the blog is "Running Down".

Today I am walking with a slight limp, and getting in and out of my car is a struggle. I seem to have pulled, strained, tweaked, and/or wrenched my left hamstring while moving some shelves in the garage on Saturday. A run on Sunday made it much worse, and it is noticeably swollen.

According to Shannon and my running log, my performance in any race is inversely proportional to the state of my well being in the 5 days prior. If this holds true, I will be setting a new course record.

But seriously if I am still limping on Friday, I will have to sit the race out, and "crew" for Shannon.
Unlike me, she is healthy and primed for a good race.

next: profiles, maps, training, perspectives...

11 comments:

  1. Not looking so good for me either. I seem to be self destructing today. Locking my lunch, dinner, camera, and keys in my car this morning was just the beginning...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My left hamstring is also killing me, if it makes you feel any better. (Of course, this has been true for about 6 months, which just shows I'm very stubborn and not very good about doing those pesky PT exercises!). See you all on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have prepared for this one with several weeks of 'long' runs that were far too short and one extreme week of cramming in mileage and intensity 3 weeks out - that's how you're supposed to do it, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say that I'm pulling for you to get better, but that sounds like yet another injury. I hope to see you all on the trails on Saturday, I need your company and moral support. Hopefully St. Uwharrie will cure you of your injuries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen- wow! We followed that exact same training plan.
    Layna- Hope it doesn't slow you down. We are rooting for you to win!
    Bart- I'll be there one way or another. I'm actually hoping St. Hottub will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keeping fingers crossed for a recovery in time. Looking at my training log I definitely should have put longer weeks in... Hopefully I'll be able to fight off the bug that has got me down since Sunday afternoon.

    See you at the pre-race dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just stay the heck out of my position. I'm aiming for last place in the 40.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I predict new course record. You're not fooling me this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It certainly sounds like this pre-race "injury" is just another precursor to an awesome performance. And, I'm still incredibly jealous that you were smart enough to register for Uwharrie. I can't wait to have a go at it next year. Until then, I'll be living vicariously through your report.
    Have a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was my training plan for Weymouth Woods a few weeks ago, which was my first 100k. Feel free to adopt any parts of it.

    1.) slack off for a few month where every attempt at long run turned into medium-ish run.

    2.) ten days before the race, desperate for distance, do a 40 mile run in Umstead. Couldn't walk the next day.

    4.) the week before the race, starts the P90X program for the first first time on Tuesday doing upper body workouts, couldn't lift arms on Wednesday.

    5.) Wednesday evening tried the P90X plyometric for the first time, next morning couldn't move the legs.

    6.) rest Thursday night and Friday night then drive to the race. The extreme leg and hip soreness from plyometric prevented me from starting out too fast, which is probably the reason I actually finished that race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love listening, reading, hearing and watching tapper madness. This is a widespread pandemic going around this week, so here's to the next few days! Run Smooth, Harold

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.