Sunday, August 14, 2011

Woohoo! Barefoot!


My knee has gotten a little better, so I have tentatively started running again.

Today I ran "The Dogmile" with Shannon and 3 of our dogs. I went barefoot because, strangely enough, my knee hurts less without shoes on.

Running barefoot, however, can have it's own problems.

I was feeling surprisingly good, just an easy jog, not really noticing the knee at all. We got a half a mile down the greenway, where we usually turn around and head home.
I glanced back and asked Shannon, "Wan't to go a little further?"

Our 85 pound dog Dudley, who was in front of me, apparently didn't understand the question.
He spun around to head home, and we collided head on. It was like hitting a concrete barricade.
First, my fragile foot crumpled into his rock solid leg. Then I was thrown over the top of him, crashing a 7 point landing onto the blacktop.

"Ow." I didn't feel the scrapes on my knees and elbows at all, because one of my toes had been crushed like a grape and the white searing pain blocked out all other sensation.
"OK, maybe we won't go any further."
After sitting on the pavement for a few minutes examining the toe, I guessed that it wasn't broken. "Let's head home"

I was able to gingerly run on it, and on the way back we saw another couple walking by. The guy called out after we had passed, "Woohoo! Barefoot!"

When we got to the end of the greenway, I saw a lot of kids in the street, so I decided to stop and put little Jorge back on the leash.
In a remarkably familiar accident, Shannon, who was running behind me, had turned to look back at Jorge and didn't see me stop.

She crashed into me, stepping hard on that same injured toe. "Oh, no..."
I looked down to see it swelling up into a shape and color of a plum.

Woohoo.


The Zen of Barefooting can hurt like hell.

12 comments:

  1. Woohoo! Running Down is back! Sorry about the toe though. Maybe you and Josh should merge your blogs. "Running Down Barefoot Josh" would make a great blog name, on many levels... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Scott is on to something... for what it's worth, more often than not I wear something on my feet when running around with the dogs. Oh, sure, NOW I tell you.

    Don't get me wrong, I want everyone to have a happy and healthy running life, but for reasons unknown I'm thrilled beyond words that you're on your way back. I look forward to you kicking my ass in a race in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yessss! Now you can run at Salem Lake next month, Anthony!

    Welcome back to blogdom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back. Broken toes are fun! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to pain free barefoot running... er, well. To be honest, I had a few transitional aches and pains like stubbed toes, but getting rid of the severe gravely knee pain that stopped me from running for 12 years has been worth ditching the shoes. Welcome to the cult, I mean club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my god, where is that top photo from - it's fantastic?! and sorry about your toe :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tara. I took the photo of Anthony and our dog "Dudley" a few weeks ago. I am glad you like it.

    Dudley is a "dimbo". All looks and no brains. Kind of like a "bimbo", only for dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have SUCH a talent for photography shannon! happy running!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Tara!! I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog doing searches on running after an injured knee. It's been very, very demoralizing. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your blog description even though I spit hot coffee all down the front of my pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that you are running again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.