Friday, March 26, 2010

I'm doing 50 and I'm sorry

Shannon and I will attempt to run (and walk) 50 miles tomorrow.
If you think that's nuts, well, so do I. 50 miles is a lot to run in a week, let alone in a day. Why are we running 50 miles? Because 100 miles is too far for us.

The race is actually the "Umstead 100 mile endurance run". Most people in the race will be running 100 miles. 50 is just the warm-up for them. And there are lots of others who wanted to run the 100 miles but couldn't get in because it is capped at 250, and it filled up in 5 minutes.

So I kind of feel guilty for only doing the 50, because I probably took a spot of someone who wanted to run the 100. Let's face it, 100 miles is a glorious achievement of a lifetime. 50 is just a long run.

So I am sorry. I'm serious. I'm sorry I stole someone's chance at 100 miles.
But here is my defense: I love Umstead. A few years ago, when I moved, I deliberately picked a house that was only 2 miles away. I run or bike there almost every day.
Every year since, I have seen this epic race happen right here in my park. In 2008 Shannon and I volunteered at Tom's Tavern aid station and witnessed it up close. I just had to do it at least once. Forgive me.

Anyway, this page purports to provide real time time tracking data. So if you're curious, you can track us all day Saturday as we do 4 loops around my favorite park. And then watch as the rest of the runners continue on and do 4 more laps. Race report and lots of pictures on Sunday...


7 comments:

  1. Shannon & Anthony,

    I'll probably see you tonight at the pre-race pasta dinner and possibly tomorrow morning during my regular Saturday run. But just in case I don't see you before, best wishes for a great race! 50 miles is pretty crazy in my book.
    Remember to secure your calf, you don't want it jumping off and hiding when you run by Cedar Ridge again ;-)

    Heiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, ac. If you hurt your calf again, expect a deluge of limericks. A DELUGE. Don't make me use the Thesaurus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 50 mile is on my calendar for next year - for me that could be the "glorious achievement of a lifetime."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I'll keep that calf wrapped up tight. Dont want anymore limericks about calves...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're serious! Don't sweat that you took someone's place that wanted to run the 100. They had an equal chance to register. Just go out, suffer, and then feel GREAT about that you did! 50 miles is definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhm, when do we get a full race report?

    ReplyDelete
  7. While we're waiting for the report, I think I found your next red shoe. And I'm not kidding - these look pretty cool. Not barefoot cool, but good lookin shoe cool.

    http://www.jingashop.com/proddetail.asp?ReDir=jinga_shop.asp&prod=sssalgueiro

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.