Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Runner Down

Well, this blog has finally lived up to it's name.
I have finally run myself down past the breaking point, and now I am broken.
The injury? My left calf muscle is still missing (it abandoned me at mile 23 of the marathon on Saturday).

I have been limping for 4 days, which is really nothing unusual for me, especially after a marathon. So I tried to run this morning, but I... couldn't. My leg simply was not working.

I can't remember this ever happening before. Oh sure, my body has often screamed out in agony telling me I shouldn't run, and I would stop and rest. But I could still shuffle along if I absolutely had to. Like to escape a burning building, avoid an oncoming bus, or round my weekly mileage up to 60.

But now I simply can't run, and it's a major bummer.
So I tried riding my bike instead. Strangely, I could pedal just fine, so I road into Umstead park looking for my lost calf. I didn't find it. And now I am limping even worse, so maybe the bike isn't a good idea.

I hope my lost calf muscle comes home. Oh, lost calf muscle, if you are out there reading this, I am sorry! I promise I won't abuse you anymore! please come home, I need you!

I have to run the Godiva "Hard Climb Hill" 10 miler on Sunday.
Then Umstead Endurance 50 miler run in just 17 days.
And don't forget the Boston Marathon in 6 weeks!

Oh, please come home!

Have you seen me?

Lost: Calf muscle, left.
Last seen: March 6th, bouncing down
Cedar Ridge in Umstead park

Description: Severely dehydrated,
overworked, and
spontaneously convulsing

Contact: running-down.com

9 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that it hasn't come home yet. I went on a short lunch time run through Umstead, if I'd known I would have extended my Company Mill run over to Cedar Ridge to look for it. I'll keep an eye open, in the meantime wishing you a quick recovery. Heiko

    ReplyDelete
  2. When a man loses a muscle in his calf,
    His spirit breaks in half,
    He begs it to come home,
    Says "please, it wasn't a loan",
    But sadly it was eaten by a giraffe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon, that was beautiful.

    Alright, ac, let's face the facts. I don't believe in fate and neither do you, but if I did, I'd say this is obviously a sign that you're supposed to start running barefoot. You put a bunch of long races on the calendar in an attempt to drown out the siren's call. But now, it looks like there's a good chance you're going to have to take it easy for a while. If the mileage is going to be minimal and slow, why not do it barefoot? The weather is finally getting warmer. You know you want to.

    I'm the pied piper, follow me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm, you need to rest, Anthony. I learned this lesson the very hard way, and was in a similar situation last year. Remember? I was forced to take time off. I've come back much, much stronger, and much, much, much smarter. I'm being completely serious. Take. Time. Off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS - I'm not suggesting your injury was caused by your shoes, or that converting the The Holy Church of Barefootery will prevent something like this from ever happening again. I'm saying, if you got nothing else going on, why not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul,

    Thanks for the advice. I know you are right, it's obvious I've overdone it. But I'm still going to try to do Umstead and Boston, just very easy and slowly. Maybe take a break after that.

    Josh,

    Hmmm. OK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I mean, just think of how many people will roll their eyes at you. You'll be scolded by complete strangers. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. actually, I already went for my first barefoot run at lunch. post to follow...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.