Monday, January 16, 2012

2012 Eno Equalizer

Handicapped start
Yesterday was the Carolina Godiva Track Club Eno Equalizer, the 5th race in the Winter Series.
This race is a team event, with a fairly simple premise: The team who has all 3 members cross the finish first wins. In other words, your team finishing time is when the 3rd team member finishes..

To make it more fair, each runner is given a head start, or "handicap" according to their abilities. This is the "Equalizer" part. To add an element of strategy, this time handicap can be traded among team members to help balance the times.


Professor Richard Smith, Race Director, tries desperately to explain the rules

Unfortunately, this is more complexity than most runners can grasp early on a Sunday morning, and there was some confusion on the faces of the 58 runners gathered there.

Almost no one plummeted to their death off the side of the swinging bridge
The race is about 3.7 miles, on the Cox Mountain trail in Eno River State Park.
Originally, I scoffed at the idea of something so small being a "mountain", but that was before I tried to run up it. Then I was regretting not bringing any climbing gear.

The lower elevations of Cox Mountain,
before you get to the glacier.
My team failed to get a single person across the line before the winning time of 23:21. I think we really got screwed on the handicaps.

Shannon took lots of photos which are here. Because of a high mileage week, she ended up DFL, with the timing folks wondering where she was. All captured in this video here.


Maybe the only race you will run where you pass
a sign saying "no running"
With 2 hard trail races in two days my legs were beaten to a pulp, and I desperately needed a rest.

So we immediately headed over to a nearby section of Mountains to Sea trail and ran another 8 miles.

Surprisingly, my legs don't hurt too bad today... as long as keep them perfectly still.





8 comments:

  1. Hate that I missed this (attacked by a virus after Little River)! Cox Mountain is just stupid steep. They should reverse the loop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed ya. There was a women there raving about how much she loved your blog, and what a funny writer you are.
      But I let her know what jerk you are in person.

      Delete
    2. Scott, this is what, you're 11th virus this month? I'm sending you a box of fruit.

      I enjoyed the finish line video. Fun to see all those familiar faces from Shannon photos in live action.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for keeping my "fans" in line, AC. I'm gonna trip you when you pass me on Turkey Creek during Umstead, thus proving everything you said to be true...

      Yes, Iris, but we have small children in our house. They are nothing more than walking disease vectors...

      Delete
  2. Too funny! Shannon DFL! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you laughing at me Frank? :)
    After I finished Anthony said, "so you weren't really trying?" For the record, I was really trying, and I still came in last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just can't believe you got a DFL before ac.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, but I have had way more DNS and DNFs. I'll get my first DFL in less than 3 weeks.

      Delete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.