Saturday, January 30, 2010

Elevation profile: Uwharrie Mountain Run

The Uwharrie Mountain Run is next week.

Here is the 20 mile profile from the website:


Let's get a closer look:
I guess the GPS was a little off, because it shows less than 20, but the elevations are correct.
It's all under 900 feet, so it's not as impressive as the Blue Ridge Marathon, but there are some pretty steep hills. Not many people can run too far up a 15% grade. There is quite a bit of up and down, and the GPS Profiler reports 3,500 feet of cumulative elevation gain over 20 miles. This is actually more than Blue Ridge, which claims only 3,076 feet.

I have to say from personal experience that the hills at the start and mile 15 feel as steep as they look above.

Let's compare the Uwharrie 20 miler to the Umstead and Boston marathons:

After 3 training runs out in Uwharrie, I have to say you really can't compare it to a road race anyway. In road races you don't have to worry about crossing streams, tripping over rocks, and getting lost.
And if you were stupid enough to sign up for the 40 miler, you turn around and do the course again. It's going to be a long, long, day...

4 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I WAS stupid enough to sign up for the 40: 2 years in a row! More bang for your buck!

    Cheapskate

    ReplyDelete
  2. I signed up for the 40 because I didn't want to take the bus back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My finger hovered over the 40 mile sign-up button for a fraction of a second, then I remembered that seeing the 20 mile course _once_ that day will be enough for me... I'll see you at the start and back at the finish line, have a great race! Heiko

    ReplyDelete
  4. New internet program (Maps API):
    GEOCONTEXT-Profiler generate topographic profile in a few seconds.
    Please test:
    http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en

    is better!

    --

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.