Monday, January 4, 2010

Best Running Photos from 2009

We did a lot of running last year, and Shannon took a lot of great photos.
She carries her camera while running races, and not only gets good pictures, but runs pretty damn fast while doing it. She is also willing to lay on the ground to get a good angle, or get a start line shot and then jump back into the corral without a second to spare.
In fact, this blog would be worthless without her pictures.

So, here are my favorite running photos that Shannon took in 2009. If you have time, please leave a comment to vote for your favorite. Or let me know if I left one out. Thanks.
(All pictures by Shannon Johnstone)

#1: 10 year old Halee Enderle flying to the finish
of The Carying Place 5K
[full size][gallery]
#2: A great finish line photo from the Cary Turkey Trot. Heiko Rath shows the pain of an 8K, with two other finishers catching their breath behind him. In the distance, runners stream out of the fog.
[full size][gallery]
#3: One of the wonderful volunteers from the Umstead Marathon
[full size][gallery]
#4: From the Triple Lakes trail race.
This guy shows the spirit of a trail race.
[full size][gallery]
#5: The manure puddle in action from the Godiva Misery Run
[full size][gallery]
#6: Ultra marathoners are a little different
than your typical 5K road racer.
This is from the Umstead 100, which we were spectators only.
[full size][gallery]
#8: The eventual winner of the City of Oaks Marathon,
cruising through the rain
[full size][gallery]
#9: From Run at the Rock. This doesn't really show how muddy it really was, but I like the winding line of
runners so focused on the trail.
[full size][gallery]
#10: The ghosts of runs past. From a full moon run
[full size][gallery]
#11: From the Cary Road Race 5K. It is a split second after the gun went off, as you can see the feet just an inch off the ground.
[full size][gallery]
#12: Post race, from Triple Lakes Trail race
[full size][gallery]
#13: The marathon start, from Triple Lakes Trail race
[full size][gallery]
#14: The best finishers prize I have ever received
(I think I took this one!)
[full size][gallery]
#15: Three very intense and fast looking guys owning the start line at The Buddy Run 5K. The rest of pack, including me, was standing 5 feet behind them, afraid to even get close.
[full size][gallery]
#16: My sister Monique and I, from The Capital Tourist 20K
[full size][gallery]
#17: Magnificent Mile start
[full size][gallery]

6 comments:

  1. Wow, there really are so many good shots. The first on is a great running shot but I like the water helper at Umstead and the three fast guys at the start of The Buddy Run 5K, but my one of my favorites is not in there. The guy at the end of Chicago with the ice bag on his head sitting on the stacks of ? something - beer? That one has to be included in the top photos for the year. That race was so hot and that picture was just like I felt when I was done. So Much Relief!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love #8 . . . the eventual winner of the City of Oaks Marathon. I also believe I remember a picture taken at the Vietnam memorial . . . where in the reflection I could see AC . . . very cool shot!

    Happy New Year to both of you! 2010 should be a great year! Wedding and all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #16, although #1 tells it all ..... can I get two votes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like #6 - that's a guy who lives life on his own terms.

    Shannon - what camera would you recommend to a broke and clumsy runner like me for on-the-run photos?

    Josh

    ReplyDelete
  5. definitely enjoy the blue dude in the Ultra race--the perfect personification of an ultra runner!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Josh, I like the Canon Elph series. I have the 1200 and 450. I like both, but you can't buy the 450 anymore. PROS: the 1200 is tiny, light, with large files for a point and shoot and relatively inexpensive. CONS: it sucks on high ISO, which is sometimes necessary when you are running to avoid movement. There is a ton of noise at ISO 800 and 1600, and even more than I like at 400.

    Another option is the shock proof/water proof cameras by Olympus. (I think they are numbered something like Stylus 770SW. That is the older model, but the newer versions should be something along those lines). I also like using this camera when I run because I can drop it or go through puddles with it and it won't break. Also, I don't have to worry about sweating all over it or accidentally pouring sports drink on it at the water stations. The bad thing about it is that the interface is harder to use. BUT it does have a sports mode for "action", which works well when I am running (without all of the ISO noise in the Canon images), but it is hard access if/when I turn the camera off and on. You have to press two buttons to get to it, and it is easy to miss when I am running. There may be an easier way to access it, but of course, I never read the manual. Maybe you should be asking someone else...

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.