Saturday, August 21, 2010

Barefoot update

My giant monkey foot
  • Did longest run ever this morning. 5 miles. 41 min, 8:19 pace. Very easy greenway course.
  • I was doing around 1 mile every day, waiting for the tenderness to go away before I went further, but I got impatient. Now doing 2 or 3 longer BF runs a week. 
  • It really does teach me to step lightly. Every few minutes I would get lazy and start stomping, but was corrected immediately.
  • It is making my transition to racing flats much easier
  • Still getting hot spots on my big toes. I am not pushing off, so I must be twisting. It happens even if I just go for a walk. 
  • According to BFJ, I must do 1000 miles to achieve enlightenment. 85 miles down, 915 miles to go.
  • Running with dogs is tough on the feet, with the stopping, starting, and tripping.
  • Thinking of doing the North Hills 5K barefoot on Sept 11. 
  • Running barefoot made me realize how badly my shoes fit my feet. I have wide monkey feet and almost all shoes have this narrow "toe box". 

8 comments:

  1. I still struggle with the toe burn. I'm almost positive it's the twisting. My feet aren't symmetrical - one turns out more than the other. Sometimes I subconsciously try to mane them point in the same direction, which leads to twisting on the landing. Especially when I'm really tired but still trying to go fast.

    8:19 is a great pace. I'll be going to you for barefoot advice in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also get hot spots and had the 'twisting revelation' this week (which is different from the 'twisting revolution' incited by Chubby Checker)... I think the answer is clear: polish all runnable surfaces outdoors to remove all friction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar symmetry problem. One foot has had almost no blisters, pains, etc. The other one had a stress fracture and had chronic blisters. I'm pretty sure I'm lifting well enough so maybe the twisting thing is going on. Don't know. But its fun to explore and try different things.

    8:19 is great pace. I'm restarting after the SF. I'm up to 2.5 miles every two or three days at 9:45. Any faster and the blisters come back....

    Keep up the good work! But don't rush it!!! (I should know)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking more and more that the salt piece is more important. I tend to run long and slow. I drink sports beverages but continue to get thirstier the longer I run. When I get home I drink lots of water but it takes forever to quench my thirst. I have sports salt tabs and lately pop a few when I get home. Revovery is MUCH faster. I will try them integrated in my first ultra try this Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dag, posted this in the wrong spot. Sunday morning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definately have two independent legs. My left I broke up in college and acts one way. My right is probably my favored, or dominant leg. But it is my left that generally escapes injury. When bf-ing my right foot shows the wear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anthony,

    I suggest a fresh pair of EE's. And I'm not talking about bra size either. This has helped with my oddly shaped hobbit feet.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.