Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Being Injured is Great!

I usually spend most of my free time and energy either running or biking, but I have acquired a mysterious quad injury which prevents me from doing either.

So I decided to cross train with an intensive home maintenance workout. Sunday I replaced the garage door opener, power-washed the house, and started cleaning out the garage.

My internal clock woke me up early again today, so I was out at 6am cleaning off the deck with the leaf blower. I bet my neighbors can't wait until I'm running again.


Usually I know exactly what dumb thing I did to injure myself, but not this time.
I somehow pulled, wrenched, tore, tweaked, and/or strained my left quad.

Shannon and I went out for a 17 mile run last Saturday and my quad was bugging me, but I figured it would go away like so many little aches and pains do.
It kept getting worse though. By mile 4, I turned around and ended up walking home. I tested it again on Monday, but it is still messed up, so I need to take at least another 3 full days off.

Trashed quads are typical after a marathon, but I didn't expect it after a blogging marathon.
Actually I think the root cause of the injury is from reading other blogs. In particular, this post about the "hip stretch/reflex mechanism"

Last week I experimented with letting my leg stretch out behind me more, essentially elongating my stride behind me. It felt great at the time, but I either did something wrong, or too much, too soon.


Anyway, time to paint the deck!

8 comments:

  1. Hmmm...you're being too productive while injured. Keep it up and your wife might take a hammer to your kneecap the next time the housework falls behind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you need the Triple C. No, not vitamin C.

    Candy
    Cake
    Couch

    That's clearly what your body is asking of you, and all those do-gooder deeds are not helping. Wake up at five wanting to run? Eat a pizza instead. Play some online flash games:
    http://armorgames.com/
    Boss the missus around. If you have a robe and slippers, wear them. Do you have a pipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you get done there, my garage needs cleaning too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, "Great!" I am nursing a pulled left calf muscle. Nice timing as I have just purchased my new Vibram Bikilas and only run twice in them. I am absolutely an overachiever at overdoing it, taking rest days...not so much.
    Today? Mow the lawn, meeting at school, dental appts for the girls, clean the baseboards,...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Run through it, run through it! That's what all the cool runners do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the injury Anthony, that really bites! Maybe you have a hematoma in the muscle - you could utilize your Tigram Leach-o-matic blood-letting kit and you'll be up and running in no time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Anthony is over there doing the dishes, and I am the one eating cake on the couch. It makes me feel extra lazy. I can't wait for him to be running again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe he's not taking my advice.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.