Monday, August 9, 2010

Congrats to Z-Foot

I have a new goal.
I am going to run a barefoot 5K race.

I have been inspired by newly minted barefoot runner Barefoot Neil Z. For the sake of brevity, I will refer to him simply as Z-Foot from now on. He just completed a barefoot 10K, ending up on the evening news in Calgary.

My initial inspiration for barefoot running was Barefoot Josh, who ran the Triple Lakes Trail Half last year in nothing but aqua socks. This caused me to seriously question my footwear, and try barefoot running.
However, Josh has attained a level of barefoot mastery that is hard to comprehend and seems unattainable.

Z-Foot on the other hand, is a relatively new runner and regular guy who decided to start barefooting just 6 weeks ago. His boundless enthusiasm for running is infectious. The amount of fun he had running the 10K make we want to try it.

Now I just have to find a 5K that will fit in the schedule.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks! It really was that much fun! My inspiration is Barefoot Josh too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the children are our future
    Teach them well and let them lead the way
    (C'mon, sing it with me now!)
    Show them all the beauty they possess inside

    Get 1000 miles on your soles and you'll realize the only things hard to comprehend are my jokes(a mushroom walks into a bar...), the only things unattainable are my dashing good looks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah - Barefoot Neil, you kicks ass. I admit I was a little concerned the enthusiasm would lead to injury, but it looks like you got things under control quite nicely. Congrats on a great time, both race-wise and fun-wise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to do a day after report, because I feel quite good. I am surprised at my bounce back. there was a point about an hour after the race that my feet were sore. But that looked after itself with some light walking and intermitant beer. (2).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go, AC. And since I am certain our racing futures will cross paths I will prepare to bow down and praise your bare feet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Careful you don't know where that asphalt has been before and who it touched ;-) . A 5km, that's an excellent goal. I'll have to start taking my shoes off at Tuesday track to see how that will work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just realized that you say ZEE-foot. Where we say ZED-foot. Zed is better than Zee. I am going to stick with Barefoot Neil Zee though. It has stuck now.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.