Sunday, July 18, 2010

Beat the Heat 5K

Blogging Marathon: Day 16

A line of storms moved through yesterday, cooling things way down to a bizarre and pleasant 72 degrees.
The rain also caused several accidents and a dead stop traffic jam on I-40, making me late getting to Bart's place.
Bart drove. We picked up Wayne and headed to Winston-Salem. I made some navigational errors, so we got there with only 15 min to spare.

No time to do any extended warm up like I usually do, so I just got my bib and went looking for a place to pee. I did managed to acquire a running injury before the race

The was a line for the porta-johns, so I went running behind some buildings looking for a bush to pee in. In my haste, I slipped on some steps landing hard on my shin, drawing a little blood. Ow.

Finally got to meet Barefoot Josh and Iris. I pointed to my public urination related injury, and Josh said "There's bathrooms right here in the building"

Josh and I started the race together, and we ran the first mile just under 6 minutes. I couldn't let some barefoot guy beat me, so I tripped him and kept going.


The "Inverse Debilitation Indication Hypothesis" held true and I had a great race, despite being a member of the walking dead all week.  Both Josh and I finished just 6 seconds shy our P.Rs.

Bart killed it with a 18:14, taking home a pretty cool mug.

There was, as promised, free beer and pizza. All you could drink and eat. I made sure I got my $15 worth.
Hung out and talked for a while. Josh is a pretty cool guy when he isn't throwing up all over the place.

Unfortunately I forgot to get the camera out, so I didn't get any pictures. Sorry Shannon!

4 comments:

  1. I think my math might have been a little addled by my vomiting; I was probably closer to 10 seconds off my PR. There are some pics at the end of my loquacious post here:
    http://www.barefootjosh.com/?p=950

    It was fun to finally hhhhrrrrummmphbleagh meet you too. Hoommmmph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad I missed this. I am in full support of the Inverse Debilitation Indication Hypothesis. And according to the theory, I would have been spectacular in the race... Awesome job Bart and Josh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this new theory only work in the week before the race, or can you bank the debilitation indicators? I've been feeling like crap these past two weeks, but my race isn't until September. Congrats on the near PR and making Josh puke. Solid work. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viper,

    No, your only options are to find a race this weekend, or continue to feel like crap until September. If that happens then you will set some world records for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.