Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bonking at Bayshore

Blogging Marathon: Day 11

Bayshore 2004 Race Report: Revenge of the Marathon

Previously on Running Down...
In case you missed it, I have already chronicled my first marathon, which I finished"accidentally" and without any actual training. Except for an IT band failure at mile 23, everything went well, and I hobbled to a finish in 4:08.
While this was somewhat miraculous, it was also a curse. Over the next 5 years, the marathon would get it's revenge and teach me respect. 
The first of many learning experiences was Bayshore. 

Training
I quit my 100% trail running routine and hit the pavement.
I did lots of road miles, including the requisite 14, 16, 18, and 20 milers.
My legs were killing me, and I had to stop and stretch my hamstrings during runs. My knees become permanently swollen with "runner's knee".
But I did it. I had followed the training plan and was ready for the marathon this time.

Bayshore
The Bayshore Marathon is a very nice, flat, and easy course in Traverse City, Michigan. I traveled there to run the race with my sister Monique as I had done in Detroit, but this time I was actually signed up to run the full marathon.

Plan
My plan was to simply run the entire race with my sister. I didn't really know how fast that would be, I just assumed I could do it. The was no thoughts of any details like pace, or eating or drinking.

Start
We had perfect cool weather, and took off fast. I was feeling good.

At the first aid station I noticed that the Gatorade tasted strange.
The reason, I learned later, was because it was actually "Ultima". A sugar-free sports drink.
This makes sense, I guess, because no one wants to gain weight while running a marathon.

As the miles ticked off, I noticed I was breathing harder and harder.
Since Detroit, my sister had gotten faster but I had not.

Half
Near the turn around I could not keep up any more.
"You go ahead", I said, and she took off.
I continued to get slower and slower as my legs got heavier. There was no pain, but I seemed to be filling with concrete.
Around mile 16, an octogenarian in an American Flag outfit whizzed by me, and saw that I was struggling.
"Come on! You can do it! I'll run you in."
Even my voice was in slow motion, "Thaaaaatss oooooh kaaaayyy...", I slurred, waiving him off.
He shrugged and took off ahead.

Out Of Gas
Eventually I came to a complete stop, like a car stalling out.
I stood there and clutched my stomach, and realized that I was starving. I didn't eat much for breakfast, fearing cramps. I had taken one Gu, but it had not been enough.
In the previous marathon and my training runs, I had been drinking sugary Gatorade. It never occurred to me what would happen without it.

I started walking. Several times I tried to run, but only made it a few steps.
After a mile of walking I hit an aid station around mile 20.

Let Me Eat Cake
"Ultima?", they asked, offering a cup.
"Ug.", I clutched my gut, "No thanks. Anything to eat?"
A woman pointed to the table. "Yes! We have orange slices, and bananas, and pretzels."
But my gazed wandered past the table, past the woman, to the bed of a pickup truck.

The aid station volunteers were tailgating, cooking some hamburgers and hot dogs for themselves.
I peeked behind her, "What do you have back there?", my mouth started to water, "Is that crumb cake?""

The woman was taken aback, "You... you want some?"
"Could I please. Please... can I have some crumb cake?"
She took a piece, put it in a paper cup and gave it to me.
I stared at the small morsel, "Could I have a little more?"
She gave me another cup.
"Could you just give me a big piece?" I said holding out my hand.
She hesitated, then cut off about a third of the cake and gave it to me.

I stood there for a minute, mashing the cake into my face with both hands, crumbs cascading down my shirt.
"Thank you so much!"

Finish
I started walking, eating the rest from the cups. Soon I started running again, and continued to pick up the pace to the finish line. My time was 4:03
Despite all the training, I was only 5 minutes faster than last time.

My sister Monique had cruised to a finish in 3:35, setting a PR. I wouldn't match that for another 4 years.

Lesson Learned
Marathons are hard. Bring some cake.

8 comments:

  1. This is so funny! I'm sending to my sister who has run many marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. man--- you are spoiled... crumb cake during a marathon !?! should have gotten some Earl Grey tea and blueberry scones while you were at it!... who has crumb cake at a tailgate anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake! Yes, THAT is the secret. I should have known. I'm getting an Entenmann's for the Akron Marathon this year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CAKE! So Monique must not have relied on the Ultima?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Let them eat cake!"
    I have not tried the cake routine but I can say from experience that if you recoup with the Ben and Jerrys supplement your weight loss from running drops off quite a bit.
    As a slow runner I am learning to ignore the details of time in other runner's stories. I was really enjoying your misery until you reported your time as 42 minutes faster than me.
    (Okay, so maybe I am have not learned to ignore those details completely).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, yeah I usually try not to bore people with time details, but I thought it was relevant here to show how little the training helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know that Ultima is sugar-free. What kind of drink is that to provide for a marathon?!!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.