Monday, July 12, 2010

Gear Review - Tigram TenToes®

Blogging Marathon: Day 10

The popular Vibram FiveFingers KSO, $85
Like a lot of people who are trying barefoot running, I have become very unhappy with my big clunky running shoes. I really want a nice low profile shoe, like a racing flat.

Unfortunately none of the racing flats fit my extra wide feet.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Vibram Five Fingers. So I thought I would give those a try.

However when I got to the store, I saw they were $85!  This seemed pricey, and I sat in the store a while and debated getting a pair.

But then I saw on the next shelf was a similar pair of minimalist shoes. They looked just as good, but were only $19.95! I got those instead, and here is a review.

Review of the new Tigram TenToes®

Tigram TenToes®  $19.95
I've never heard of Tigram, but the salesman said they make top quality products, just as good as Vibrams. 
When I tried them on in the store, they felt awesome. They fit like a glove!
  • The are made of durable leather
  • Water resistant
  • Have a patented "stay-on-strap®" that wraps around the heel for a snug fit. 
  • The seemed a little short, and didn't have the coverage of bottom of the heel that I would expect. But the salesman said that provides a more "natural barefoot feel"



I went for a short run in them, and it was a little odd at first. The toes seem to flop around a lot. But the sales guy said it takes a while to transition to minimalist footwear.

I highly recommend these! I feel bad for all you suckers who shelled out $85 for the VFFs. These are much better. I'm so excited, I'm heading out the door for my 20 miler!


UPDATE!!

You might not want to go 20 miles on your first time out.
These might take some getting used to. Ow.

16 comments:

  1. Wish you had these for the marathon, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you wear these for beat the heat, I'll wear the pink dusting shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh great! I get honorable mention on this cool guy's blog and it is a slam. But I can take it, as long as you change YOUR name to "Tigram ac."
    The Tigrams look marvie on you. All you need is to add some fashion colors and a mention in a hit book and you got it made!
    Seriously, $85 is a bit costly but two things to consider. 1) Compared to other shod options it ain't much. 2) I am getting incredible wear out of my Sprints. Vibram knows their soles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Chris! I didn't mean it as a slam. I wasn't trying to make fun of Vibrams, just my frugal buying habits.
    Actually I probably will get some vibrams, since I can't find any shoes that fit wide foot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I promised that I would not comment on your blog anymore but... when is Shannon getting home? You have way too much extra time on your hands. (or feet)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monique, if you want to talk about your little brother, feel free to comment on my blog, I am more than happy to oblige.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them! They look like your monkey feet dressed in a duck costume.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No offense taken. My girls call them my "frog feet." Had I the courage I would wear them as casual wear. But then my family would disown me. A bit too high a cost. Sadly, I don't think they would be any more accepting of the Tigrams, even though my wife would appreciate the savings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome review! I'm going to Home Depot tonight to get a pair of Tigrams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT is FUNNY...and I've definitely got to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where can I get a pair?! Totally rad and fashionable too. If this were on Facebook, I would like it, then unlike it so I could like it again. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tigram-TenToesR/115840128464328

    ReplyDelete
  13. shameless... Look out though, you may become famous for your Tigrams. (Pr, teegrums). Are you ready for that? all you have to do now is videotape yourself running in them and post it on Youtube...

    ReplyDelete
  14. $85? Wow! And I thought barefoot running is supposed to be about minimalism--apparently not from an economic standpoint.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry. Had to enable that awful word verification due to spam.